Monday, October 6, 2014

Writing As a Full-Time Job

I never considered writing as a career. I knew I wanted to write, but I knew that it wouldn't pay the bills. Unless I was the world's next Stephen King or Nora Roberts, that is! But of course, those kind of writers work under extreme deadlines, and I don't work well under pressure (unless it's self-imposed!).But now I'm one of many people who are considered "disabled" in the United States. It's true, I'm not yet strong enough to return to my job at Auto Zone (though I wish I was, as I miss all the staff). But I'm not yet ready to claim that I can't do "anything" any more, and not having a regular job was what allowed me the time to publish my three books. The stories and ideas keep flowing, so now I'm considering making writing my "full time job".Of course, I have to treat this as I would any other job, right? I don't have a spare room that I could turn into a mini office or writing studio. Mostly I've been working on the laptop while sitting up in bed, or sometimes in the recliner in the living room. Should I try to make my space more like an office, and set myself a schedule of days and times to work? Or should I just write when I feel the urge, rather than trying to force it? Opinions?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, but please, keep comments clean!

Followers